Tuscany Gourmet Cycling Camp
If you’re going to ride in Tuscany, you’d better be good at multi-tasking. Of course you’ve got the amazing roads rolling over the famous Tuscan hills. Any cyclist worth their salt will be working up an appetite for the fresh, local, and world-famous cuisine on offer. And naturally, you’ll want to spend a good bit of time learning about (read: tasting) the region’s famous wines. That’s a lot to deal with, so we’ve brought in the best to help you out at our Tuscany Gourmet cycling camp.
Our host Chef Fabio Flagiello, is the perfect guide for a cycling and culinary trip to Italy. The Michelin Guide likes him; LA, San Francisco, and Boulder have loved him for years; and now Chef Fabio’s going to give you a private introduction to fresh, locally-sourced true Italian meals. But first, he’ll take you on his favorite rides and work up that appetite. During the week, Chef Fabio will conduct cooking classes and make sumptuous dinners for the whole group.
Our special guest, Craig Lewis, made a seamless transition from the Pro peloton to discerning wine importer. His expertise with the local growers and winemakers will be on display throughout the week as he introduces us to his favorites and leads special tasting events. And if you feel the need to drop the hammer on the bike, he’ll match you pedal stroke for pedal stroke.
JUST ADDED! We would like to welcome Kathryn Bertine, an author, filmmaker, activist for women’s rights, and former pro cyclist who was a frequent World Championships competitor and multi-time Caribbean Champion. In 2016, she created a nonprofit foundation to house, help, and provide for female pro cyclists who struggle with salary inequity. The Homestretch Foundation teaches athletes to become activists for change, help eradicate salary inequity in all professions, and provides opportunities to thrive in their post-athletic careers. Velo Veneto will make a donation to The Homestretch Foundation for each guest at this camp.
To ensure access to the exclusive, often small, establishments that feature on this Tuscany cycling camp, our group size is limited. Most Velo Veneto camps in 2016 sold out, so don’t wait and miss your chance – book now!
Arrival: Saturday, September 2
Departure: Saturday, September 9
Duration: 8 days/7 nights
Price: $4200 double accommodations
Single Supplement: $700
2017 Tuscany Itinerary:
- Day 1, Saturday, September 2: Arrive in Florence, and join our private transfer to our home for the week, Villa Nonno Fernando. Our mechanic will help you assemble your bike, or fit you to your rental. You’ll meet our hosts, Chef Fabio Flagiello, Craig Lewis, and Kathryn Bertine, explore the local village of Cortona, and learn what’s in store this week. Morning arrivals will have a chance to head out for a short ride.
- Day 2-6, September 3 – 7: Tuscany will be on display this week. Our mix of flat to rolling rides offers variety for everyone. Options each day will let you tailor the riding to your interest and fitness level. Afternoons mix poolside relaxation with visits to historical towns like Arezzo, Montepulciano, Assisi, and Siena. We’ll have a chance to dine in local restaurants as well as on our own veranda with meals by Chef Fabio. If eating alone isn’t enough, work side by side with Chef Fabio and learn from the master!
- Day 7, September 8: Today’s route heads out to the scenic Lake Transimeno, with a gourmet picnic en-route. Relax poolside on return to the villa before our Notte Finale wine pairing dinner and celebration, hosted by a local winemaker.
- Day 8, September 9: Our private transfer back to Florence sees you head back home with great memories and a suitcase bulging with wine.
Our Hosts – Fabio Flagiello and Craig Lewis:
Though he’s stood atop pro race podiums, you won’t be surprised to learn his favorite European cycling memories usually involve wine. Racing through famous wine growing regions throughout Europe piqued his interest, and we’re glad he did!
Growing up in the hills of Trieste in northeast Italy, you can’t not ride a bicycle. But becoming a classically trained chef is not for everyone. Thankfully Chef Flagiello combined the two and quickly gained a following among elite cyclists. Visitors to his restaurants often didn’t realize that the top cyclists in the world were often sitting at the next table. On this trip, you’ll be amongst them!
- Airport and ground transfers
- 7 nights accommodation our private villa
- Three meals per day including wine
- Gourmet dinner and cooking class
- Daily guided ride with Chef Fabio, Craig Lewis, & Kathryn Bertine
- Follow-car and mechanic support
- Wine education and tasting events
- Souvenir cycling kit