Homestretch Foundation – Tuscany Cycling Camp
The Homestretch Foundation was inspired by the experiences, vision, resilience, and passion of Kathryn Bertine. These same characteristics were behind the founding of Velo Veneto, so we joined forces to give you the Homestretch Foundation experience in one of the world’s most iconic cycling locations. Over the course of this week in Tuscany, you’ll live like a Homestretch Foundation Pro in our Tuscan villa; enjoy coaching, massage, yoga, and cooking lessons from our private chef; and live out your Italian cycling dreams over the rolling Tuscan hills!
Our host, Kathryn Bertine, is an author, filmmaker, activist for women’s rights, and former pro cyclist who was a frequent World Championships competitor and multi-time Caribbean Champion. During her cycling career, Kathryn saw a need for helping other women. For years she took in as many athletes as she could, providing housing for her friends and competitors. In 2016, she created a nonprofit foundation to house, help, and provide for female pro cyclists who struggle with salary inequity. The Homestretch Foundation teaches athletes to become activists for change, help eradicate salary inequity in all professions, and provides opportunities to thrive in their post-athletic careers. Over the course of this week, you’ll experience the same amazing hospitality, while learning more about the Homestretch Foundation and the quest for salary equity not just in sports, but in every occupation.
ALL PROCEEDS from this camp will go to support the Homestretch Foundation.
Set within arms reach of the historic towns of Siena and Arezzo, you’ll experience some of the world’s best cycling at your own pace. Don’t let that late season speed go to waste – we’ll roll over many of the same roads as the spring classic Strade Bianche. Hammering in September not your speed? Head out with our casual group with plenty of time for photo ops and cafe stops. This is late-season cycling the way it’s meant to be. When you return to the villa, you’ll have your recovery meal waiting. Spend the afternoon lounging at the pool, in a yoga class, or join us on a trip to visit a winery or historic village.
To ensure access to the exclusive, often small, establishments that feature on this Tuscany cycling camp, our group size is limited. Most Velo Veneto camps in 2016 sold out, so don’t wait and miss your chance – book now!
Arrival: Saturday, September 9
Departure: Saturday, September 16
Duration: 8 days/7 nights
Price: $4200 double accommodations
Single Supplement: $700
The Homestretch Foundation
The Homestretch Foundation knows professional sports. Specifically, professional cycling. So we’ve combined our passion for social activism, female pro athletes, and salary equity into a unique program of changing the problems, providing solutions, and working together.
Throughout the year, Homestretch Foundation directors, staff, and athletes work together to eradicate salary inequity—not just in sports, but in every occupation. By joining the foundation, all guests, donors, and athletes of The Homestretch Foundation help one another move forward.
2017 Homestretch Foundation Tuscany Itinerary:
- Day 1, Saturday, September 9: Arrive in Florence and join our private transfer to our home for the week, Villa Nonno Fernando. Our mechanic will help you assemble your bike, or fit you to your rental. You’ll meet your host, Kathryn Bertine, explore the local village of Cortona, and learn what’s in store this week. Morning arrivals will have a chance to head out for a short ride.
- Day 2-6, September 10 – 14: Tuscany will be on display this week. Our mix of flat to rolling rides offers variety for everyone. Options each day will let you tailor the riding to your interest and fitness level. Afternoons mix poolside relaxation with visits to historical towns like Arezzo, Montepulciano, Assisi, and Siena. We’ll have a chance to dine both in local restaurants as well as on our own veranda with meals by Italian-American Chef Fabio Flagiello. If eating alone isn’t enough, work side by side with Chef Fabio and learn from the master!
- Day 7, September 15: Today’s all-camp ride heads out to the scenic Lake Transimeno, with a gourmet picnic en-route. Relax poolside on return to the villa before our Notte Finale wine pairing dinner and celebration, hosted by a local winemaker.
- Day 8, September 16: Our private transfer back to Florence sees you head back home with great memories, strong purpose, and a suitcase bulging with wine.
Our Host – Kathryn Bertine:
As a professional cyclist, author, filmmaker and activist for women’s rights, Kathryn saw a need for helping other women. For years, she took into her own home as many athletes as she could, providing housing for her friends and competitors. But in 2014, she found herself in need of the help she had provided to others. One day, in the middle of her career as a pro athlete, everything she had was suddenly gone: No home, no car, no salary, no insurance and no pro team contract. Struggling to hang onto her professional racing career, Bertine vowed to get back on her feet and make sure no other female athlete would have to give up their career in the midst of life’s hardships.
- Airport and ground transfers
- 7 nights accommodation our private villa
- Three meals per day including wine
- Gourmet dinner and cooking class
- Daily guided ride with Kathryn Bertine
- Follow-car and mechanic support
- Wine education and tasting events
- Souvenir cycling kit